Saturday, November 22, 2014

Garth L. Mangum and Marion

I recently acquired an old photo album dating from the late 1940s-early 1950s.  A lady in my church congregation had moved to Oklahoma, and had left the photo album of her late husband with others.  Eventually, it made its way into my hands.  What I discovered as I leafed through the pages of the album were bunches of photos of LDS (Mormon) missionaries that served with the late husband in the Eastern States Mission of the United States in the early 1950s.  Many of the photos had names as well as home addresses of the missionaries.  Using the clues found on the backs of the photos, I've once again been able to trace with some certainty, their descendants.  One such photo wass of Elder Garth L. Mangum.  The youthful young man was handsome.  Posted on Ancestry.com was an older photo of Garth.  Comparing the two, I felt sure they were the same person, so I contacted the descendant who had posted the more recent picture.  It turns out the photo was indeed her grandfather, who had just passed away back in June of 2014.  The photo meant so much to the woman who had posted the photo on Ancestry.  Her grandmother she later told me, had also served a mission in the same area.  So back to the album I went again.  And there amongst the pages was a picture of her grandmother as well.  The photos are now safely tucked inside an envelope, awaiting to be mailed on Monday to the woman in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment