Monday, October 20, 2014

Returning Mary

Having found Maude and returning her to her rightful family, I just had to go back to the antique store again to see who else I could find.  This time, it was Mary Steinmetz, who married William Shearer.  Mary lived in Ohio from what I could learn about her.  She was the daughter of John and Cora Steinmetz.  Again after careful tracing on the Family Trees on Ancestry, I was able to track down the most likely direct descendant of Mary's.  This lady, Marcia lives in Ohio; not far from where the Steinmetz family had lived.  An email was sent, and communication quickly went back and forth.


Marcia was overjoyed to get a picture of her ancestor.  It just breaks my heart to see these old pictures cast aside in some antique store, when they could be treasured by the family.  I know how much the old pictures of my ancestors mean to me.  I treasure each and every one!  Anyway, the photo was mailed off to Marcia.  I received an email from her yesterday, letting me know how much the photo had meant to her.  She mentioned in her email of how Mary Steinmetz was her third cousin three times removed.  Both were descended from Jacob Steinmetz, a Revolutionary War Patriot.  Marcia then proceeded to tell me the story of Mary Steinmetz Shearer and her husband, William.  It seems that they opened a grocery store and operated that for years until they retired.  They had two sons, Howard Hiram and Nelson Elias. Howard and Nelson became partners and took over the running of the store.  Nelson, who was called Jack, had married Ester and had one son, Jack Jr.   Jack Jr. married Rosemary.  Rosemary began making kettle cooked chips and selling them in the store in the 70s, and thus began Shearer Chips.  I enjoyed learning more about Mary and her family.  Each person has a story to tell.  I guess that's why I hate to see these forgotten photos in the stores.  Because each photo represents the life of someone who had hopes and dreams; who had families that loved them; who made a difference in this world.

Marcia has taken up the cause to get the picture back to the family, a closer relation than she.  She has been reading obituaries and city directories in order to trace the family more.  Canton and Massillon, Ohio are not far from where she lives....about an hour and a half away.  She mentioned how she wished she was a closer relation to Mary, but said that she would trace the family more in order to get  the picture back to the family who would cherish the picture.  One thing I do know, is that it sure gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside to know that the little bit I am doing is making a difference in reuniting these forgotten ancestors with their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment